Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Miscommunication one of the greatest problems on earth

When you read this title you may think what can this be about. Mitch has announced a new dog and now he is going to take on the problems of the world?!! I have been thinking a lot about how we can talk to one another and never really communicate.

Sometimes we hear the words and understand the words but misinterpret the meaning or intent of the speaker. My thinking is that the context determines the meaning of things. If we don't take into account the context of the speaker it could be very easy to miss the real intention of the one trying to communicate with us. Maybe you are understanding these words I am writing but you are not tracking with me right now. Let me give you an example to clarify.

One time Ranae (my wife) and I were watching Survivor on television. There was a women on the game whose occupation was an office designer kinda like an architect for office. Any way she was used to telling people working for her what to do. The group she was with in this remote island needed to have a shelter built before night fall so they wouldn't spend the night in the cold. The problem was no one wanted to be the leader because if you were the leader sometimes you would offend people and they would vote you out of the game. When they found out what she did for a living they instantly asked for her help in getting the shelter "designed" and built. She was kinda flattered and began to kick into a mode I am sure was very normal for her. She started to take charge and began to tell different people what to do. Put these corner post over there. Make a hole over here. Tighten up these ropes, etc.

It was interesting to see the dynamics in the group as she began to do what they had asked here to do, take charge. The project was completed quite rapidly and very successfully but she was the first one voted of f of the show because everyone said she was bossy. They said, who does she think she is telling us what to do. But they had asked her to assume a role no one else wanted to accept and frankly were unqualified for, but yet they hated her for being bossy.

I believe the answer here is the context problem that caused miscommunication. She was used to giving orders. She assumed the position thy asked her to fill. In fulfilling her role she assumed they would be subordinated to the authority they had given her. They never lowered themselves to receive her instruction. Or they never submitted to the authority she had be ask to operate in. So when they heard her orders they did what she asked but they never saw her as the boss. The proper context needed to be her as the leader for that moment and the others as subordinates. It did not mean she was better than them what it meant was that she took her position and they all completed the task. I might add when this particular task was completed she would return to her role as a peer with the rest of the group.

There was miscommunication because they others did not understand what was going on. Maybe this example did not help you to understand but if you will begin to consider the context of the one speaking to you it may help you to understand not only the words but the meaning as well.

I am not saying we should begin to analyze every situation so that every conversation becomes wooden and uncomfortable but if we will begin to examine the context surrounding our coversations and relationships it will begin to bring light to possible miscommunication.

I would love to hear some comments of personal examples of this kind of miscommunication.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I get what you're saying...
I know there are times when my defenses are so high that I can't really hear what's being said.
I don't know if this applies but there is definately miscommunication.

good post Mitch.

Jeani said...

my personal best is: I had a severe case of gout and was in alot of pain. I can't take the meds most people do for it so I was hurting bad. I went to my Dr and he gave me some advice to keep it up as much as possible and avoid trauma. Now my idea of foot trauma is dropping a bowling ball on it or someother horrible painful thing. It took weeks to ease up and I was happy.
The next bout was even worse and I returned to same Dr and got same info. BUT, this time I asked him what trauma was and he said
"putting it in a shoe or standing on it." Oh my!!! I hadn't missed a day of work or anything the first time and sure enough when I understood "trauma" it was over in a few days.
I ask now if I don't think we are on same page. Not just Dr but everyone.
Love YA!!!

Laura said...

I think of miscommunication that happens between parents and children sometimes. The parent gives the kid an instruction, like "don't flush your sister's toys down the toilet," after he's already done it once already. The second time he does it, after he's gotten the explicit instruction not to, his mom takes his favorite toys away for awhile, as a consequence for his disobedience. The kid wasn't counting on this, because he was operating under the context of, "Mom doesn't really mean it-- I can get away with it a few more times before she punishes me." The mother, however, felt differently, which the kid soon learned the hard way.